Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Expectation

Expectation is to suppose, to anticipate, to look forward in things, with a certain degree in mind, it holds a pre-judgmental value. The reason why I must write this and emphasize 'expectation' is because I believe I must explain to those, who deem Logamaya pessimistically convulsive, absurd (or stupid) and amateur.

They are correct, afterall, Logamaya was founded in 2007. We are without a doubt amateur, but always assert ourselves to best, then it's up to your judgement again (relatively). But about being absurd, I am not very comfortable with the word. Most of our works are social commentary, the execution is humanistic, there exist too devoid of humanly sense, to some people some of the works are foolish and nonsensical. Though, since when we are not foolish?

I myself am not a theatre practitioner, I do not work in accordance with theatre conventions; and as a visual artist I study more of history of art rather than the whole general history of theatre/film. But the contemporary era is about breaching the limits, and I am passionate in performances too, disregarding theatre or even performance art itself; one thing for sure is I see my theatrical works as an articulation of what I suppose to speak. It is expression.

The clear-cut for performance art and performing art is fading in contemporary era, but I remain my absolute discreetness in my own, the advantage that I perceive in Logamaya is a cross-culture in between performing and performance, only by fostering the proximity but not merging them, and this is what that makes Logamaya particular and unique, I suppose.

Still, what's your expectation?

PS: Logamaya is currently planning on Fermented Roti Canai project. It will not be a theatre event, but an art event wholly. We are gathering young art practitioners to work with us.

4 comments:

San said...

Who is that young art practitioners? and when?can others join your gathering?

Anonymous said...

Any art practitioners or art enthusiasts that are available for us, really 'any'. No particular who.

Fermented Roti Canai will be a one month project, but this still need to be considered, discussion among fellow thespians is important. I personally have not informed the others regarding the progression, was preparing an outline for the group, from rules and regulations to our new aims, our scope and concept etc, I would say 'formalizing' and certain confirmation needs to be made before we re-commence working as a group. Firstly because our purview has expanded, secondly we are breaking-through, trying very hard here to get INTO the local art scene; decisions and ideas are soaring somehow, ways to stage quality production, to highten the efficiency of the group, managing or coping with financial difficulties and so on.

There are certain things we need to 'renew' and we will convene one day and refurbish our skills... Anyhow, I believe Fermented Roti Canai project will be a great event, at inception.

Anonymous said...

We will organize our activities, and I really hope that we can be consistent.

You know...the 'frequency' of Logamaya, Mark Teh has advised us that if we are serious, the activity needs to be consistent. Hitherto Logamaya has only organized two events, and both are far from perfect.

(Ah, I hope I can request for a workshop this holiday, Mark.)

San said...

Erm..sorry,who is Mark Teh huh?Even Suman also not includ in this project??you mean your T.O.A holiday?